Dave, I would like to know how to copy computer files to a compact disc. I am using windows 98. I know how to backup files but want the info on a cdrom.
To begin you’ll need a CD-RW and a CD burning program. There are plenty of burning programs on the market including Nero, RecordNow, Ashampoo Burning Studio and SwiftDisc Burning Wizard.
Most of the programs offer free trials so you can try the program before you buy to see which one you like best. Once you have the program installed you’ll need to open it then follow the instructions which differ from program to program.
Here’s the basic procedure:
- Insert a Blank CD in the drive
- Open the CD burning program
- Choose the type of CD you want to create – for example data
- Select the files you want to copy
- Burn or Copy the CD
Of course, if you’re talking about strictly programs and information, a good CD burning program will integrate with Windows Explorer like this:
- Open up Windows Explorer and navigate to your CD drive
- Open a second copy and navigate to the files you want to copy or move
- Drag the files from where they are to the CD folder
- Operation complete
Finally, if these haven’t made your head swim, my colleagues recommend the freeware application recommend DeepBurner for basic CD backups.