I’m housebound due to an illness, but work half-time anyway. The job I have now is okay, but I really want to step up to something better, which I know I can handle. Problem is, I feel like I really need to learn more about how to use modern tools like LinkedIn but don’t know how to proceed. Any suggestions?
Let me start by saying that I admire your savvy that you want to move in a new career direction but are still paying attention to your current job and making sure that you can pay the mortgage. Smart.
Now, having said that, you need to understand that if you start looking for a new job online that it’s inevitable that someone in your existing company will find out about it. Make sure that you’re good with that. In your situation, it sounds like it probably isn’t a huge concern, but for many job seekers the fact that they’re looking can create some very uncomfortable situations.
Which is why what I’m going to recommend to you is such a great solution for so many people: web-based training on how to use LinkedIn and similar professional social networking sites.
Even better, a friend of mine, Mike O’Neil, runs these web training workshops (he calls them “webinars). I asked him about what he’d suggest and he sent me a lineup of upcoming LinkedIn webinars:
My company Integrated Alliances teaches business professionals, businesses and groups how to use Social Networks, like LinkedIn, mostly effectively for business and career development. We conduct general “101” webinars and have versions specifically tailored to those working in Sales, Marketing, Business Development Recruiting and Human Resources. We also have a program designed just for Job Hunters.
We provide attendees with detailed handouts and a 30 page book, The LinkedIn Profiles Guide, to help you optimize your LinkedIn profile at your own pace. IA has public webinars for individuals and private webinars for business, groups and associations. These webinars are high-energy and are full of rare and insider knowledge about how to get the most out of LinkedIn.
Integrated Alliances, by the way, is not associated with LinkedIn Corp. in any way. We are a third party resource supporting the for LinkedIn user community around the country and around the world.
The September line-up of Integrated Alliances LinkedIn Webinars:
Here’s our lineup:
- The IA LinkedIn Webinar for Job Seekers
- Sept 9 – is designed to GET YOU A BETTER JOB FASTER than otherwise possible. The biggest users of LinkedIn are recruiters and many use it as their sole recruiting tool. This comprehensive 2 1/2 hour Webinar goes beyond the basics (profiles, networking building, searching) and focuses on getting you employed. It includes IA’s 30 page LinkedIn Profiles Guide and a terrific 14 page handout of Job Seeker tips and 3rd Party Resources. It’s schedule for 12-2:30pm EDT on September 9th, and costs $59 per person ($49 for early registrations at least 1 week in advance).
- The IA LinkedIn 101 BASIC Webinar
- Sept 4 and Sept 18 – teaches business professionals how to harness the power of LinkedIn and the LinkedIn network. This 2 ½ hour webinar teaches the basics of LinkedIn – creating effective profiles, network building, searching and applications. It runs 3-5:30pm EDT and costs $69 per person ($59 for early registrations at least 1 week in advance).
- The IA LinkedIn Webinar for Sales and Marketing Professionals
- Sept 16th – teaches techniques designed to help you make more money by finding the right decision-makers through the LinkedIn network. This 2 hour Webinar goes beyond the basics and focuses on maximizing the ROI for sales, marketing and business development professionals. It includes IA’s 30 page LinkedIn Profiles Guide. It covers the most common sales scenarios (hunting, farming, territory expansion, channels, etc.) and how LinkedIn can help. It runs 12-2pm EDT and costs $99 per person ($89 for early registrations at least 1 week in advance).
- The IA LinkedIn Webinar for Recruiters and HR Professionals
- Sept 17 and 30 – teaches those involved with staffing and other HR concerns how to most effectively utilize LinkedIn to achieve the greatest results in the least amount of time. This 2 hour Webinar goes beyond the basics (profiles, networking building, searching) and focuses on maximizing the ROI for Recruiters and HR Professionals. It includes IA’s 30 page LinkedIn Profiles Guide. It runs 12-2pm EDT and costs $99 per person ($89 for early registrations at least 1 week in advance).
Or, if it’s easier, you can peruse our entire online webinar schedule here: Integrated Alliances Upcoming Events Calendar.
Thanks for that great info, Mike. Having been involved in Integrated Alliance’s live on-ground LinkedIn training workshops, I’m sure these webinars will be well worth your time and money.