As a subscriber to Comcast digital cable I gained a goofy little cable box and a big, complicated remote control. I can handle the remote, but would really like to have it control my Sony TV in addition to the cable box. How the heck do I program it?
Y’know, everyone laughed at Steve Wozniak (co-founder of Apple Computer) when he announced that the need for an easily programmed universal remote was one of the next big challenges in the computer industry, with his startup CORE and the CL-9 universal remote, but twenty years later we’re still all struggling with these pesky critters. I know that I have six remote controls for my A/V setup, which is really too darn many.
Soon enough I’ll have a review of the slick Logitech Harmony USB-based programmable universal remote, but in the meantime the remotes are still stealthily taking over my house! Trust me, I know what you’re going through, I share your pain.
The real problem with the Comcast remote is that there is no other brand, it’s not like a Sony remote that’s relabeled or anything. Fortunately, Google helps again, and it turns out Comcast has a page online about programming the Comcast remote control.
To program the remote to work with your Sony TV, you need to take the following steps:
- Find the code or codes for your TV from Comcast’s list [PDF]
- Turn your TV on
- On the remote, press and release the TV key on the very top of the remote.
- Press and hold the Setup key, until the “TV” key flashes twice, then release the “Setup” key.
- Using the number pad, enter in the first 4-digit code found next to your television brand on the chart. If you do this correctly the “TV” key will flash twice. Now it’s programmed!
- Now point the remote at your TV and press the Power key. If the TV turns off, you’re golden. If not, try again with the next code on the list.
That’s all there is to it. With a Sony TV, the codes are: 0000 or 0111.
Note: I had lots of problems with this because it seemed the remote was expecting a five digit value. I finally got it to work with my Sony TV by using the prefix “1″ on the code so 10000 finally had things happy.
Try those, hopefully one will work with your particular Sony TV.