I’ve been migrating to Ximian Evolution on my Linux box and I love it, but I haven’t been able to figure out how to set up all the mailing list rules I want to add to the program. Can you help me figure out how to set up a mailing list rule?
I use Linux extensively, but my main email system is a Mac OS X box, so I asked my favorite Linux guru, Dee-Ann LeBlanc, for some help on this Ximian Evolution question.
She explained the exact steps required, which I include here.
To set up a filter in Linux’s Ximian Evolution to select and flag the “Ask Dave Taylor News” mail messages as Important (or any other action you’d desire), you need to first off know the email address of the sender (I’ll use email@example.com to avoid any evil spambots snagging a legit address from this page), then take the following steps:
- Select Tools | Filters
- In the Filters dialog, make sure incoming is selected in the upper
dropdown list box.
- Click the “Add” button.
- In the Add Rule dialog, give the rule the mnemonic name. For this example, I used “Ask Dave Taylor News”
- Beneath the “If” button, I select Sender in the far left, contains in the middle, and add firstname.lastname@example.org to the text box on the right. (or a real email address, of course!)
- Beneath the “Then”: button, select Set Status on the left and
Important on the right.
- Click “OK” and the rule is created.
This particular rule simply changes the status of the message to be “important’, but you can just as easily have it moved into a special folder, deleted (though I’d hope you wouldn’t do that!) or even sent to the printer, whatever you’d prefer.