I got a Sony PSP two days ago and when I got it, it said I had 30 MB. Now it says that I only have 900 KB (and this is after I deleted everything, my games and songs, so it should have a clear memory)?
I then tried putting MP3s on it but it won’t accept any of the songs I drag into my music folder. It always says that I don’t have enough memory (this is also when I deleted everything so my PSP has a clear memory)
I get a lot of questions from people who don’t fully understand how to work with the PSP Memory Stick devices, and I believe that this is exacerbated by the fact that Windows really likes to hide files from regular users when browsing devices.
As a result, what you’re seeing is that you have files that aren’t being shown in a regular Windows (or Mac, for that matter) file view, but are clearly still on the Memory Stick.
Or, a simpler possibility: you’re dragging things into the trash, but you aren’t actually emptying the trash and deleting them from the device!
In any case, I recommend that every so often, and particularly when you first buy a memory stick, reformat it on the Sony PSP so that anything added by the memory stick manufacturer is removed, along with any hidden files you might have accidentally added.
You can format any size Memory Stick Duo in the Sony PSP by doing this:
- Push the little HOME button on the bottom left of the face of the unit.
- Use the arrow keys to move to the SETTINGS area, then move the up and down keys until you get to System Settings.
- Once you are there, click on the “X” button and scroll up and down as needed to find Format Memory Stick. Click on “X” again to select that option.
- The Sony PSP will now confirm that you want to reformat the memory stick (which removes every file and game save thereon, of course): choose yes and it’ll format in just a few seconds.
Now you have a pristine new Memory Stick to work with and should have no problems with music, photos or other material you might seek to copy onto your PSP.
- Downloading photos and music to your PSP from Windows
- Downloading photos to your PSP from a Mac
- My PC never sees my Sony PSP when connected